How to manually update a Magento extension?
Created at: 12 Jun 2017 | Updated at: 1 Mar 2021
Make sure you have FTP/SFTP access to copy the extension files to your Magento installation.
- Navigate to “System → Cache Management” and disable/clean all Magento caches.
- Put a file named maintenance.flag in your Magento root directory
- Upload the extension directories “app”, “js”, "skin" etc. to your Magento root directory (“app”⇒“app” and “js”⇒“js” and so on).
- After your upload, on the next page request, Magento will internally run all things required for the update.
- Remove the file named maintenance.flag from your Magento root directory.
- Navigate to “System → Cache Management” and refresh/reactivate all caches.
Note: For other third party extensions it always makes sense to read the installation and update instructions from the third party.
Categories: Magento 1 / OpenMage