You can await the first release until the end of April 2017. Not all features of the Magento1 version will be built in on the first release, but you can be sure that all features will be added within the next 12 months, to fulfil your EU VAT requirements.
The Features of the first version will be:
- Automated VAT setup (tax rates, tax classes and tax rules, as well as store configuration)
- AJAX based VAT number validation
- VAT numbers have to be used with the country code prefixed
- Dynamic VAT calculation based on customers address data, independent of the customer group, also possible for guests or registering customers
- Group assignment like Magento core, but optional and with the possibility to assign customers to a "NON-EU" group